THE ULTIMATE BOATING COMMUNITY
SailAngle.com was conceived by experienced boaters to appeal specifically to the needs of boaters and promises to be “The Ultimate Boating Community”. After much research we discovered that the few websites devoted to boating were poorly conceived, poorly executed and did not meet our expectations. SailAngle.com took a “clean sheet of paper” approach. The result is a professionally executed web site that includes unique features for boaters that currently do not exist on any boating related web site.
The “Destinations” component is one of our most unique features. We believe it will be the boater’s place to go when planning a trip. Content is produced by the website users; both the general public and professional boat crew can review and rate ports of call in the same way that Hotels.com rates hotels.
- In addition to the reviews there is a comprehensive database that rates everything from car rentals, beaches, restaurants, grocery stores, marine services, fuel docks, marinas, anchorages, customs etc. and pinpoints their location on the local Google Earth map.
- For the “charter” industry we expect this will be a must-use site. The experience history and general reviews from people who have visited the port will be invaluable for people considering the destination as part of a cruise or charter. People unfamiliar with a destination will have a ready resource for determining where they want to eat, drink, sightsee, swim, SCUBA, golf, shop, etc., with the recommendations and reviews having been generated by real people who have been there before them. Want to know where to buy that Cartier watch you’ve always wanted - - SailAngle.com will tell you where you can find it at the best price.
- For professional crew the destination tab ranks marines service, chandleries, fuel docks, anchorages, marinas, mooring fields, etc. with the reviews and content being generated by people before them. Additionally, customs forms for many ports of call are available and can be filled in and printed in advance to speed clearance. In essence, the website becomes a local resources guide with detail information far greater than that found in the existing Superyacht Services Guide. On charter and need to replace a Joker valve on a head - - SailAngle.com will tell you if the part you need is available at your current location, or the next.
- For Sport Fishing enthusiasts, the reviews of services available such as bait and tackle, boats for hire, permits required, fishing guides and type of fishing available will be an invaluable resource.
The “Gourmet Galley” is another unique section where members can post their favorite recipes that are adapted for preparation in a marine galley. There is added functionality where a chef can enter client food preferences and allergies and the web site will display only those recipes that meet those criteria. Alternately, a charter guest can enter preferences ahead of time and select from the menus available that fit their preferences.
- Once a menu plan has been selected, the web site will generate a shopping list for all ingredients and there is a calculator that will automatically adjust quantities for the number of guests entered.
- Gourmet Galley also houses “handy gadgets” which contains must have tools for the galley and a link to where they can be purchased. Members are able to post their tips and tricks they have found to be useful for other members to see.
“Ask-A-Pro” is another unique feature that unites the general public with professional marine captains and engineers that will answer questions and provide professional “tricks of the trade” across a broad range of topics. We maintain a paid group of experienced captains and engineers from sailing yachts and power yachts to answer these questions.
In addition to the unique features above, SailAngle.com offers all of the standard features of social networks. The Discussion forums will provide an area for members to discuss various aspects of boating including maintenance, electronics, and product reviews. The forum isn’t all serious business, it’s also a place to post your favorite jokes, talk about your latest trip, and discuss current issues effecting boating such as piracy, red diesel and more.
The Groups section of SailAngle.com is a place for members to unite in their own space. Each group contains its own individual news, discussion forums, calendar, and chat rooms which can be set as private to the specific group members, or be open to the public. Groups, such as the U.S. Sail and Power Squadron, Swan Owners, Sport Fishing Clubs and others will be able to connect while still using all the great features of SailAngle.com.
Chat rooms will give members the opportunity for live and instant feedback for their questions and entertainment.
The classified section is for members to sell anything nautical. Both members and non-members are able to browse the classifieds giving vast exposure of the ads to a large boating specific audience. Members can sell anything from their boat to a hard to find fastener. In addition, a special section allows resume and job posting.
In addition to meeting our overall goal of providing the “Ultimate Boating Community” we wanted to make the website fun. We have a “Games” section that contains fun and educational material for everyone, including weekend boaters to experienced captains.
- Master Mariner – is a game with twenty levels covering everything from boating safety to rules of the road and navigation. There are ten questions (never the same) at each level; to move to the next level you must score 100% correct. At each level the questions get progressively harder.
- We are working with the U.S. Sail and Power Squadron and hope to be approved to offer the Safe Boating Course through our web site and potentially other courses offered by the Power Squadron.
- We also have a destination-specific “Trivia Tester” that poses trivia questions such as which Navy made Antigua its Caribbean base in the 1700’s? People headed to various destinations will enjoy playing Trivia Tester.
- Other educational features included marlinspike and knots, basic charting, first aid and CPR and more.
The “Ships Store” section of SailAngle.com is where nautical books, charts, cruising guides, hats, T-shirts, etc will be for sale. A major goal for the Ships Store is to work directly with publishers of marine “reference” books (Chapman’s, Dutton’s, etc.) to provide these publications in an encrypted electronic form that can be downloaded to an on-board computer. This feature has been widely requested by many boaters to save space and weight on their boats.
SailAngle.com allows its members to set their current location, by entering their latitude/longitude coordinates, or simply entering an address, or city. Your location is then displayed on a Google map and automatically shared with your SailAngle.com friends and community. With this feature you can quickly find and identify the exact location of your friends anywhere in the world.
- It also displays an icon to let you know if any of your friends are currently on-line and if so, allows you to communicate via instant message - - or as we call it a “Message in a Bottle.”
- Also conveniently displayed are your friends Skype addresses which can be clicked to open Skype and connect directly to your friend’s right from your browser.
Each week SailAngle.com posts a members poll, such as what’s your favorite anchor, varnish, bottom paint, cruising ground, chart plotter, etc. The votes are tabulated and posted and also archived. A simple search term like “anchors” will among other things bring up archived poll results. This “popularity” poll helps boaters understand the most popular items in every poll category.
News & Events
SailAngle.com streams real-time news and events for the boating community. An event calendar tracks upcoming boating events such as boat shows, regattas, races and other events related to boating. A special feature allows you to select, create and save your own personal events calendar.
Member Feedback and Innovation
We built this site based on the accumulated feedback from experienced boaters. We will continue to listen to the members and partners of SailAngle.com on a daily basis for their needs, wants, and suggestions. We intend to make changes and add new features in response to member suggestions to better suit the needs of the extended boating community. Sailangle.com is dedicated to utilizing the latest technology, paired with the most knowledgeable and experienced staff to consistently provide our members with the highest quality experience possible.
In short, SailAngle.com was designed by boaters for boaters. It is intended to be a one-stop web site for anything and everything having to do with boating. It will be “The Ultimate Boating Community”.