Forum

10-Sep-08 08:56:41 PM UTC
Ian Fagg

United Kingdom, Cornwall

Many people wait for the 1st of Nov before leaving Newport to head for Bermuda at the end of the summer. I have made this trip a number of times, and have had various experiences with the weather. What I have learned is, as winter approaches and the land in the US cools, the depressions on the coast become more violent. The air over the land is cold in Nov. and into the winter, so when weather systems move over the sea and warm up, the air in them expands and depressions become more violent. I try to get away before the 1st, when the weather is still warm, I don\'t head S. of Bermuda before the 1st because of the risk of hurricanes, but this early departure often offers better weather. In \'06 I left a week before many of my friends and got a decent blow of 45 knots in the stream, but the guys a week behind me reported 60 and 70 knots in the same area. Also remember the Gulf stream is a body of warm water, so expect an increase of 10 knots of wind over the forecast when in this area.
Ian G. Fagg
Capt. SV Extarordinary
11-Sep-08 08:09:11 AM UTC
Bob White

United States, California

Interesting, but makes sense. I hope that 45 knots was from the southeast, a nor\'easter in the stream would have built up some pretty large waves. I definately wouldn\'t want to be in the stream with 60 knots.
Randy White
President SailAngle.com
11-Sep-08 08:22:38 AM UTC
Tom Belk

United States

Agree with Ian. I\'ve also made this trip many times and always leave early. We always use a weather router like Commanders and I begin asking for weather window forecasts early in October and if we get a window in the 2nd week of October, we go. Besides, it nice to spend a couple of weeks in Bermuda - - dark and stormy anyone?
Tom Belk
Delivery Skipper
11-Sep-08 01:23:47 PM UTC
Ian Fagg

United Kingdom, Cornwall

Randy White:
Interesting, but makes sense. I hope that 45 knots was from the southeast, a nor\'easter in the stream would have built up some pretty large waves. I definately wouldn\'t want to be in the stream with 60 knots.
Yes it was a S.E. and you are right a N.W would have been suicidal.
Ian G. Fagg
Capt. SV Extarordinary