Forum

13-Sep-08 05:45:16 AM UTC
Bob White

United States, California

James Patterson has a new novel out September 2008 titled SAIL. The Family Dunn is a Morris 54 and the \"family Dunn\" set sail for a two month cruise in the Caribbean to reconnect the dysfunctional family. Barely out of the sight of land a series of disasters happens, including a broken thru-hull, loss of radio communications, a terrible storm and finally an explosion that sinks the vessel. With the life raft and ditch bag intact, the family Dunn makes it to a deserted island. The mystery is who rigged the boat for the series of disasters and why? It\'s a real page turner and hard to put down. As a seasoned boater it is fun to read, because many of the things they do are completly counter to safe boating. Clearly the author isn\'t a seasoned boater, but it\'s a good read anyway. Highly recommended.
Randy White
President SailAngle.com
14-Sep-08 01:52:39 PM UTC
Ian Fagg

United Kingdom, Cornwall

I recently read the book by Pete Goss called \"Close to the Wind\". Absolutely amazing. Now... there is little doubt that Pete Goss is never going to be the next Shakespear, but the story he tells of his campaign to get into the Vende Globe and the experience of the race itself is incredible. People like Goss really remind me what a fair weather wimp I am. Superb!
Ian G. Fagg
Capt. SV Extarordinary
14-Sep-08 09:01:37 PM UTC
Ian Fagg

United Kingdom, Cornwall

This is my favourite sailing book of all time \"A Voyage for Madmen\" by Peter Nichols. This is the true story of the first 9 men who set out in 1968, to sail single handed non stop around the world, the race that is now known as the Vendee Globe. Out of the 9 men who set out only one returned. This is an absolute must read.
Ian G. Fagg
Capt. SV Extarordinary
19-Sep-08 04:13:33 AM UTC
Bob White

Ian Fagg:
This is my favourite sailing book of all time \"A Voyage for Madmen\" by Peter Nichols. This is the true story of the first 9 men who set out in 1968, to sail single handed non stop around the world, the race that is now known as the Vendee Globe. Out of the 9 men who set out only one returned. This is an absolute must read.
Thanks Ian, you're not the first to recommend this book to me, but I've never gotten around to reading it. I'll make a point to get a copy and then write a review after I read it.
Randy White
President SailAngle.com
22-Jan-09 08:37:38 AM UTC
Justin MW

Ian Fagg:
I recently read the book by Pete Goss called \"Close to the Wind\". Absolutely amazing. Now... there is little doubt that Pete Goss is never going to be the next Shakespear, but the story he tells of his campaign to get into the Vende Globe and the experience of the race itself is incredible. People like Goss really remind me what a fair weather wimp I am. Superb!
HI Ian
Justin McChesney
20-Feb-10 08:18:26 PM UTC
Inactive User

I also enjoy reading about the Vende Globe. Another book on this is "Godforsaken Sea" by Derek Lundy. I am not a fan of his writing style, but it tells an amazing story of the 1996-97 race.