Forum

06-Feb-09 04:28:32 AM UTC
Bob White

United States, California

First a honeymoon couple is killed in St. Lucia, then a couple is killed in Antigua in July, then last month Guadalupe went into riots and Swan Charters had to move their fleet, then two weeks ago Drew Gollan (skipper of Perseus) is shot to death in Antigua, then last week crew from a Superyacht that fled Antigua for supposedly safe St. Thomas was mugged and one of them ended up in the hospital, and NOW in Puerto Rico and young and pregnant charter chef is kidnapped and has her throat slashed. What the #%&# is going on? Does anybody have current information on the safety situation on the southern islands? We are supposed to go to St. Lucia and points south on Thursday, February 12th for ten days. Now I'm wondering if we should go. Anybody have news of activity in the Grenadines? Randy
Randy White
President SailAngle.com
08-Feb-09 10:50:25 PM UTC
James Prince

United Kingdom, Cornwall

The Grenadines have had a fairly good track record, St Vincent is a bit more of a concern, I am carefull where I anchor overnight. Stuff hapens on the west coast St Vincent two, three times a year (almost always at night), Overnight in Yong Island on the southern tip is safer. Its well worth the trip though, the Grenadines are the best!
10-Feb-09 04:14:26 AM UTC
Bob White

United States, California

Thanks James - I spent a lot of time in the Grenadines and Tobago Keys a few years ago and I was clearly one of our favorite destinations. We never had a problem, but then we always practice a certain alertness when traveling. We're leaving on Thursday the 12th an picking up the boat at the Pitons, then off to Bequia the next day and then Mustique for a couple of days and then points south. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Randy
Randy White
President SailAngle.com